Tuesday 5 January 2010

Aart On My Sleeve - Pol Arida

Astonished to find myself here, blogging, with the divine Ruby Quality, of all people :) Ruby, thank you for the opportunity; my pile of rejection letters from other publishers is so high I use it to stand on when I change light bulbs.

Having seen lots of blogs I know that the secret to success is to pretend that you are simply talking to yourself (you are) and to either indulge in fond memories or apply a a jolt to the synapses with the shock of the new.


Pol Arida was an SL discovery with a vast RL hinterland. The first in-world experience which made the hairs on the back of my neck put their hands in their wallets ;). As someone who is still makes the effort to attendo live music performances in small venues, I had naturally checked out the SL live scene ... mostly disappointing MOR-AOR-DoDgYcOvErVeRsIoNs, it must be said. There is however a group and a scene known as The ORIGINALS, committed to performing live and, duurr, original music and I was fortunate in being introduced to this by the lovely Jeannine Mathilde, for which I remain ever in her debt.

Pol is an Edinburgh based, Scottish musician with a unique percussive guitar style. He writes challenging lyrics which span the Peter Hammill, Nick Cave, Robert Wyatt spectrum and he's the kind of guy that can get one of my personal Goddesses, Tilda Swinton, to appear in his video so obviously a person I should be sucking up to. Strangely, and as a totally separate and secret quirk, Ruby has a huge thing for Mr Swinton, John Byrne ... we live safe in the knowledge that in the quantum SLuniverse we've shared breakfast with Tilda and John, seperately, jointly and in every combination you can imagine ... we weren't disappointed ;)


Did ya like that?

Here's some more; enjoy. And if you want to catch him live In-World, join his group or keep an eye on his calendar or his website at http://www.cultx.com/

4 comments:

  1. Only here 2 minutes and you've squished me down to the bottom, grrrrrrrrrr :p

    Excellent opening post, Mr Beresford. Great links too:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only here 2 minutes and you've squished me down to the bottom, grrrrrrrrrr :p

    Just the force of my personality darling ... sorry about that :P Thanks for the kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Aart ... enjoyed the videos. I've seen Pol in SL but never tracked down stuff elsewhere. I'll have a look at his website when I get a chance, I'd be interested in a CD if he has them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Aart, I checked out one of Pol's gigs at the weekend in SL and WOW!!! what a guy. There is so much bad stuff that passes for entertainment in SL but this guy is really the exception. Love the You Tube links, btw. Thanks for the head's up on this one. You and Ruby are quite a team, LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear once I have processed my emails. I try and do this once a day:)